About Me

A Church-Planter asking questions about God, Culture and Church
view my profile...

Jake recommends
Books
Films
Travel


Links






























Contact Me
Jake

Site Feed

Friday, March 03, 2006

Bilinguality

My dear friend Eric is originally from Puerto Rico, though he has lived in the US most of his life. Given our common interest in hermeneutics, we have talked at length about postcolonial interpretations of texts, marginilization and semiotics. As a New Testament Scholar, Eric occupies two-worlds simultaneously. On one level, he is able to discuss the intricacies of the Synoptic Problem with redaction and text-criticism scholars. On another, Eric is able to give voice to the socio-linguistic aspects germane to a critique of the Euro/Andro-centric hegemony of biblical interpretation. Living 'in the margins,' as Eric confesses he does, he is able to bring a valuable criticism to his academic disciple. Moreover, his Latino heritage often brings an added perspective to the table of discourse. Eric has mastered bilinguality. He doesn't only know the words needed to construct sentences in English/Spanish or "classic" New Testament criticism/marginality criticism. Rather, he understands the nuances and philosophies that undergird both cultural worlds. Postevangelicals could learn a lot from Eric.

I just finished reading something interesting in Gibbs and Bolger's book, Emerging Churches: Creating Community in Postmodern Cultures. They write:
From a postmodern perspective, the ultimate question is, Why is it important to label oneself as evangelical? Aren't labels simply artificial divisions that make us feel safe or help us exert control? Why not mine the riches of many traditions? What is obvious is that the ecclesiastical or theological label one decides to wear is of far less concern to emerging churches than how one relates to the gospel and culture. (39)
I agree with the spirit of this statement, but I think the basic assumption is flawed. The reality of my own ecclesial existence, and this holds true for many of my peers, is that I cannot resign myself exclusively to a "postmodern perspective." We are in a paradigm shift, to use Kuhn's term. To pretend that we have arrived, that we can now operate from an a priori postmodern position, ignores the cultural reality we find ourselves in. Take me for example. In one part of my life I work for a large, institutional CBF church trying to empower them to live missionally in a super-affluent neighborhood in Atlanta. In another, I am an emerging church planter in an area of the city that is largely antagonistic towards Christianity. One community is still inured in a modern worldview. Another has adopted postmodernity, carte blance. It is imperative that I speak both languages fluently.

Again, quoting Kester Brewin and Paul Roberts respectively, Gibbs and Bolger contend:
Emerging church leaders believe that to define oneself against something is not helpful either. "When people describe themselves as post-X, they are defining themselves as (in mathematical notation) everything that X isn't." Paul Roberts also has reservations about the designation postevangelical. He declares, "I've always been a bit skeptical of the usefulness of Dave's [Tomlinson] postevangelical concept, as it tends, despite his protestations, to fall into the trap of defining yourself against something, which is an old game and seldom a fruitful one." (37)
I disagree with this assertion. First, I think that Brewin's notion of "post" is flawed. The way I understand "post" means "beyond." For Brewin's notion to be accurate, he should use "anti" rather than "post." In other words, "postmodern" does not mean "against modernity" it means "beyond the foundationalism, assumptions, and programatization germane to modernity." Postmoderns have emerged beyond the scope of modernity. We have lived it and found it wanting; hence the title, postmodern. I.e., a postgraduate degree is not against an undergraduate degree. It presupposes baccalaureate work, and moves beyond it.

In my ecclesiastical, 'marginalized' context, postevangelical is extremely helpful. It helps me to acknowledge my roots, my heritage (alla evangelical). However, I have moved beyond my evangelical background. I have found it insufficient to address my existential, postmodern situation. I am not married to Tomlinson's vocabulary, but I do find it helpful. Thought? Peace.

posted by Jake at 3/03/2006 10:03:00 AM

2 Comments:

Blogger Thoughts From Jeff said...

I think that this is one of the flaws of language and the terminolgy people use. Each individual seems to have a slightly different meaning behind the words they use. Thus, they think they are communicating on the same page .. yet they are not and at times can be worlds apart.

BTW, I am almost done with the book - I am enjoying it.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Andy Rowell said...

Jake,
Good to see you struggled with the same thing I did.

Your quote:
"To pretend that we have arrived, that we can now operate from an a priori postmodern position, ignores the cultural reality we find ourselves in."

I picked out a different quote that I thought overstated the case from the book:

"theologies given birth within modernity will not transfer to postmodern cultures” (34). They are naïve to assume that “emerging churches” can possibly remove themselves from the influence of modernity.

Because they had this mentality in writing the book, they ruthlessly eliminated voices from large churches. You hear nothing about McLaren's Cedar Ridge Community Church for example.

Overall, I loved the book but I appreciate you struggling with the same thing.

I haven't read Postevangelical by Tomlinson but I agree with your sense that if we are post-evangelical it doesn't mean we are anti-evangelical.

My post:

http://firstmovethyself.blogspot.com/2006/03/gibbs-and-bolgers-emerging-churches.html

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Friends w/ Blogs









































































My Reading Queue





























Just Finished























The Looooong List
















































































































































































Previous Posts
Look no Further
------------
The Incarnational Approach
------------
Fides Quaerens Intellectum?
------------
Frogs in a Pot
------------
Katrina and Tony
------------
Biloxi Blues
------------
Scarry: Pomomusings and Bode Miller
------------
Bloggers beware!
------------
I look like a Homeless Guy?
------------
Hmmm...
------------

Archives
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007

 

Powered by Blogger